Monday 9 February 2015

Looking For Alaska - John Green




"Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words–and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the “Great Perhaps.” Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps."







IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS DO NOT CONTINUE READING.
There. Can't say I didn't warn you now.
I was talked into pausing reading the Percy Jackson series by my best friend because apparently this book was amazing and I just HAD to read it there and then. It didn't matter that I had it in my TBR pile at home and I was 3 hours away for a few days over Christmas - I had to read it NOW. So I promised to buy it on my Kindle (awesome Christmas present - thanks Dad!) and read it on the train home.
Miles, aka Pudge, starts attending a new boarding school in search of his "Great Perhaps". He quickly becomes friends with his roommate, the Colonel, and his friends. Which is how he meets Alaska. Beautiful Alaska who doesn't seem to care if she lives or dies. The first part of the book counts down to a specific event, and the remainder of the book is dealing with the aftermath and trying to find out why, or even if there is a why. Filled with humour, romance and heart break.
I finished it within 24 hours. What an absolutely brilliant book. I loved the characters, the events, and my quotes book has several brilliant new additions including this little gem:

" I just did some calculations and I've been able to determine that you're full of shit."

I think this book dealt really well with the potential suicide, and what it can do to those left behind. The desperation to find a reason, the blame game, the anger, isolation.
I don't want to say too much as I really think everyone should go and read this. Though you should have tissues at the ready. Trust me on this - bawling on a crowded train station is not good.
And I'll leave you with probably one of the most known quotes from the book, and one of the most meaningful.

"The only way out of the labyrinth is to forgive."


No comments:

Post a Comment